Shiplap in the kitchen...

I knew the minute that we moved in this house that this wall needed some finessing. I didn't want to put a hutch on it because it would interfere with the flow of the table and chairs, so I decided to do a variation of what I did in our Maine home. But instead of beadboard I did shiplap (or my interpretation of it). And I love how it turned out....

 
Here is the before, just a big solid builder beige wall, which my cow painting looked really small on!


I did not use true shiplap boards but instead I found these tongue and groove ones at Home Depot for only $6.97 a piece. They are 8" wide by 8' long and my wall just happened to be 8' long, woohoo, no major cutting!  I used the flat side which is technically the back of the board, the front side has a groove in the middle so it looks like 4" boards stacked. The tongue and groove part provided the perfect gap so I didn't have to use spacers like you would if you went with the stripped plywood version of shiplap.
 My daughter helped me because it really is a two person job.  We had to cut around one outlet using a hand box saw. But after that it was smooth sailing.

This is where we had to pause because I miscalculated and needed to purchase 2 more boards. Oh, and at first I tried nailing the boards to the wall, but we switched to screws because we had some bowing and they worked much better.
 
And the completed wall minus the paint...I added 3 corbels, an 8" wide shelf, corner molding on the right side and a thin strip molding on the left.

A few coats of paint and she was looking good.  I had bought an eggshell finish at first but I wasn't liking the results, so I went to Ace and bought the same white semi gloss that builders use on doors and trim work.

And here it is complete...I still need to decorate the shelf, but it is so much better already than the boring plain wall.



The breakdown for the whole project...

11  8" by 8' tongue and groove boards $6.97 a piece
1    7' corner molding $1.47 a ft
1    7' thin trim piece $.48 a ft
1    1" by 8' pine board  $9.97
3   Scrolled corbels $16.98 a piece
1   quart of semi gloss white paint $18

Grand total of $169.23  ....I already had the tools.

Total amount of work, about 3 hours.

Tiff

Comments

  1. Hi! I just discovered your blog and love it! I can't wait until I have time to sit and read it through. Your home is beautiful! I hope you will visit me at myfarmhouseblue.blogspot.com
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts